Articles & Tips
Ethnic Skin Care: What’s safe for darker skin tones?
If you have a darker skin tone, you have likely run into difficulty finding a skin care center that performs certain types of aesthetic treatments that will be most beneficial for you and provide you with the outcomes you are looking for, and or the skill level of the providers in understanding how to treat darker skin types. Many of these centers actively avoid providing services related to skin care for dark skin tones because of the risk of damage to the skin that could damage your natural, healthy pigmentation. However, Lasky Aesthetics & Laser Center in Beverly Hills has the distinction of providing high-quality services that are specifically designed to treat darker skin tones and ethnicities such as African American skin, hispanic skin or asian skin.
Treatments for Darker Skin
Lasky Aesthetics & Laser Center in Beverly Hills provides these three services that are good for darker skin:
- Skin Tightening Devices: Any devices used to tighten up the skin can be used by patients with darker skin. Lasky Aesthetics offers skin tightening services including Thermage, TriPollar, Ultherapy and VoluDerm to provide non-damaging treatments that utilize non-invasive technology for targeted results.
- Laser Resurfacing (Excluding CO2): Laser resurfacing services remove the surface layers of skin that are damaged. Removing these layers takes care of blemishes, and all that is left is healthy skin. This service also helps the skin produce collagen to fill in and smooth out fine lines and wrinkles. However, it is important for women with darker skin tones to be aware that one type of laser resurfacing, CO2 treatment, is not recommended.
- Chemical Peels: Chemical peels offer a gentle method of removing the damaged outer layers of skin to get rid of blemishes. A chemical solution is applied to the skin and removed shortly after, and the damaged layers of skin will shed over the next few days.
Skin Care Treatments to Avoid for Darker Skin Tones
While there are treatments that patients with darker skin can benefit from, there are also treatments that should be avoided. When you schedule your consultation, these limitations will be discussed. However, it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with which treatments should be avoided to take an active role in your skin health.
- IPL / Intense Pulsed Light: IPL is a treatment that lightens up areas of pigmentation in the skin. Intended to lighten age spots, sun damage and liver spots, this treatment is not appropriate for patients with darker skin.
- CO2 Laser Skin Resurfacing: CO2 laser skin resurfacing is an aggressive anti-aging and acne scar treatment that should be avoided by patients who have darker skin tones as it can cause damage to your natural pigmentation.
Whether you are looking for Asian skin care, Latino skin care or African American skin care services, Lasky Aesthetics & Laser Center in Beverly Hills can help. Start with one of the services listed above that is ideal for darker skin, and combine appointments at the center with a regular dark skin care routine to enjoy beautifully radiant skin for years to come. Schedule a consultation with one of our ethnic skin care experts today and get started.« Back to Articles & Tips